Saturday, August 13, 2011

Pon Maalai Pozhuthu


Song: Oru Pon Maalai Pozhuthu
Movie: Nizhalgal
Originally sung by: SP Balasubramanyam
Cover: Vasanth aka Subbu




My all time favorite of Balu-Raja combo. Sadly I cannot appreciate the lyrics it carries. Its the sin of studying in Kendriya Vidyalaya (ek gaon mein group) and the bundled minimal interest in Tamil.

Apart from the mesmerizing tune, there is a sense of nostalgia attached to the song. Set in old Chennai, the beach and all of that reminds of my childhood times, when I had absolutely nothing else to do than roam the Chennai streets looking to play cricket with some group.




There is a photograph of my father posing in front of our house in Chennai. A serene picture in sunset background, shot as he was gazing into the sky. I still don’t know anything about the when and who credits of this photo. But every time I listen to this song I get reminded of this pic and thus the beautiful days we spent in our house in Chennai. I always recall the times as “the 190 days”. It is not literally one hundred and ninety days, 190 comes from our street address, it is the unit #. The house where I grew up was converted to multistory apartment long time back, so memories have been my only companion to relive those days.

So here I present this song with nostalgia, hope you enjoy.