Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Poove Poochoodava

Song: Poove Poochudava
Movie: Poove Poochudava
Originally sung by: KS Chitra
Lead vocals: Revathi




View Comments on Muziboo

Here I come with an IR classic. The plot, characters and songs add charm to this brilliant movie. I can't think of any other Tam movie showcasing relationship between a grand parent and grand child so beautifully. Poetry it is, how Padmini and Nadia get close to each other. The inherent paasam (affection) is sooo touching.

Several times when I was recording this number, I was taken back to the times that I spent with my patti. Lakshmi Patti. She raised me as a child. As one would have rightly guessed, two generations back our family tree was really huge. And I've possessed this garvam that I was her favorite grand child. Of all those cousin sisters and brothers, no offense, she had this immense liking for me. Probably because my mother was her last child. But nothing felt/feels more precious than patti admitting her selfless love for me.

There are other fond memories of this song - while in family gatherings - someone or the other would take me by surprise. Announcing that Revathi will sing a song. I always had a standard list of Carnatic as well as Filmy numbers. If I hate the crowd or in a hurry to go back to gossiping with my sister, my first choice would be 'Yamunai Aatrile' from Thalapathy. I'll be done in a minute. If I sense that my patti was watching, I'd sing 'Poove Poochoodava', every now and then I'd lift my eyes to see her and it felt divine. I also recall distinct sessions of this song while she was preparing Upma or Mor-kazhi or some such delicacy in our kitchen :o)

I simply adored her. What's not to admire? Her devotion towards Thatha - 65 years together, she had her own way of narrating tales with Thatha :) Her think-good-do-good attitude towards everyone - her standard dialog used to be 'avaa enna panna unaku enna. namma ner vazhila povom'. Her culinary skills - there is still none in my family who can make Tirunelveli Brahmin delicacies like she did. Her innocent - naughty outlook - hailing from a traditional Brahmin family, Onion and Garlic was taboo then. She'd ask me and my bro to brush after we dine outside. 'Please pal thechuttu en kitta vanngo'. I've had the best of our times playing with her then. Her quest for learning - she probably knew several chants by heart - I recall learning Thirupaavai and few keerthanais from her.. she could read English, she can sing, she was very keen in gardening.. all of this, outside her daily chores - she was 14 years old when she was married and thereon she had the responsibility of caring for just about 8 children (and in turn their children!!). I cant imagine.. I am complaining about not having enough time for myself!

To me she is only next to god, more than my mother. I feel at peace when I pray to her.. Grandparents can be a great source of inspiration, if yours is around just spend as much time as you can. In my opinion they are epitome of love, warmth, grace and innocence. Well, atleast mine was one!

PS: I think I retained Shruthi at close to original. It was intentional as I wanted to sing in that scale.