Thursday, July 28, 2011

Unnai Kaanatha Kannum Kannalla


Song: Unnai Kaanatha Kannum
Movie: Idaya Kamalam
Originally sung by: P Susheela
Cover by: Revathi




Such a beautiful melody scored by a legend and delivered by a goddess. Old songs / singers have their style of delivering sangathis which I find very difficult to venture.


Not because I do not know the songs or I do not belong in that era, but simply because of its outstanding quality. Bhaavam is so inherent in their voices and there is simply no over-indulgence of any sort. Listening to old Tamil and Hindi songs, I always envy how it must have felt for folks from previous generation to go to a theatre, watch a film and stumble upon “Unnai kaanada kannum”. Or listen to “sau bar janam lenge” on radio…. Whoa! Growing up with 80’s and 90’s music was nothing short of nectareous… I remember how my jaw dropped listening to Thalapathi songs on screen… but still…

My mom introduced this song, like all other old songs, during one of those lazy Sunday afternoons. This song was not in any of her “P Susheela Gems” cassettes so I recall asking her to sing this song over and over again. When I sing any old song, she almost always says “ganeer nu paadu… Netru illatha maatram madiri paadathey”. Not as an insult to the recent song, but to differentiate the style of singing. My voice was tuned to thin out trying to emote.

So… folks back home have been asking for old covers. Specially appa seemed to enjoy this cover a lot which almost never happens. As expected, amma had some pointers and I “hope” I’ve fixed all of them.

And why upload now? Someone’s birthday is fast approaching. Happy Birthday V! I can’t find a better song, can I?

Generally I write… this is my take of the song and hope you enjoy it. Not this time, not with this classic one. This is not my take, this is the best I could do and hope you enjoy that.


View Comments on Muziboo